hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Extend ResultScanner API (and InternalScanner)
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 06:44:55 GMT
Your aim is reuse the same scanner for multiple scans?

seek(byte[] row) is equivalent to a new scan with startRow set to row.
seekToFirst() is equivalent to a new scan.

When would you use seekToLast() and prev()?

Would you envision to be a client side API, or just internal (for CoProcessors)?
Server side this should not be too hard to do. Client side it seems somewhat pointless as
it wouldn't reduce the number of roundtrips.
(But I might not understand fully what you want to achieve).

If you like to file a jira... Could you explain your usecases there?

-- Lars

 From: Vladimir Rodionov <vrodionov@carrieriq.com>
To: "dev@hbase.apache.org" <dev@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:01 PM
Subject: Extend ResultScanner API (and InternalScanner)
This is suggestion and request at the same time:

It would be nice to have the following methods:

seek(byte[] row)

I am pretty sure its doable.

The reason is obvious: we can do much faster large number of short scans if we have this API.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments