hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code review request for hbase-4120 table priority
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 01:12:15 GMT
Hi Todd,

> It's not about Cloudera/SU/FB - it's about code that will be supported
> by people who are committed to the project.

Fine, but that is not what you stated exactly, so I felt it important to -1 the language in
your previous email.

> If we have a few of the core people committed to running this in
> production and supporting it in the future, I'm all for it (just like
> I am +1 on security). I just want to avoid repeating mistakes like the
> Avro server which isn't really supported despite being in our
> codebase.

My point of view here is that what you said is fine, but it would have been better if you
stopped at "If we have a few of the core people committed".

I would really like to see the isolation feature in 0.94+, so I intend to work with Jia and,
if there is a successful result, support it going forward in a manner like Stargate, even
though I may not run it personally (like I don't run Stargate). I take an expansive view of
what open source projects should accept...

> I just want to avoid repeating mistakes like the
> Avro server which isn't really supported despite being in our
> codebase.

... even though it may lead to situations like that.

On the other hand there are users and committers of HBase for whom stability is paramount.
I expect the tension :-); it will make us a healthier project.

But we cannot have a new feature acceptance criteria that requires several "core users" run
it in production.

Best regards,

   - Andy