hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: HBase 0.90.4 missing data in production
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:31:04 GMT
No, I restart only HBase cluster

It seems that the FATAL error is the only one I can find in RS log files. No ERRORs

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Todd Lipcon [todd@cloudera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 1:27 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: HBase 0.90.4 missing data in production

Are you restarting your HDFS cluster underneath your running HBase
cluster? Since you're running a rather old CDH3 (+320 is CDH3b2 if I
remember correctly, something like 18mo old) you have a couple missing
bug fixes that would cause data loss in the scenario that you restart
HDFS under HBase.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Vladimir Rodionov
<vrodionov@carrieriq.com> wrote:
> Even with WAL enabled
> HBase version: 0.90.4
> Hadoop: 0.20.2+320 (CDH3)
>

> When M/R job finishes loading data into HBase table and right after that everything is
OK, no missing data. We can confirm that by running  our own internal tool.
> But when we re-start the HBase cluster and run the checker again we regularly find missing
rows in a table. The total number of rows decreases in a table.
> This "missing rows" amount is small = ~ 0.1-0.3% of a total. After first restart all
subsequent restart do not affect on a total number of rows. It seems,
> that we loose only during first restart
>
> Table's TTL = 1 year. There is a slim chance that we load data with timestamps more than
one year behind, but it does not explain the difference
> between total number of rows before and after cluster's restart.
>
> All RS are time synched.
>
> In Master log I do not see any WARN or ERRORs during cluster re-start. In RS logs I see
a lot of:

> 2011-11-02 00:16:07,620 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog: Roll /hbase/.logs/us01-ciqps1-grid01.carrieriq.com,60020,1320187507171/us01-ciqps1-grid01.carrieriq.com%3A60020.1320192949451,
entries=76, filesize=68053806. New hlog /hbase/.logs/us01-ciqps1-grid01.carrieriq.com,60020,1320187507171/us01-ciqps1-grid01.carrieriq.com%3A60020.1320192967380
> 2011-11-02 00:16:07,621 INFO org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.CodecPool: Got brand-new compressor
> 2011-11-02 00:16:07,621 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog: Could not
append. Requesting close of hlog