hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject HBase 0.90.4 missing data in production
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:24:27 GMT
Even with WAL enabled
HBase version: 0.90.4
Hadoop: 0.20.2+320 (CDH3)

When M/R job finishes loading data into HBase table and right after that everything is OK,
no missing data. We can confirm that by running  our own internal tool.
But when we re-start the HBase cluster and run the checker again we regularly find missing
rows in a table. The total number of rows decreases in a table.
This "missing rows" amount is small = ~ 0.1-0.3% of a total. After first restart all subsequent
restart do not affect on a total number of rows. It seems,
that we loose only during first restart

Table's TTL = 1 year. There is a slim chance that we load data with timestamps more than one
year behind, but it does not explain the difference
between total number of rows before and after cluster's restart.

All RS are time synched.

In Master log I do not see any WARN or ERRORs during cluster re-start. In RS logs I see a
lot of:

2011-11-02 00:16:07,620 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog: Roll /hbase/.logs/us01-ciqps1-grid01.carrieriq.com,60020,1320187507171/us01-ciqps1-grid01.carrieriq.com%3A60020.1320192949451,
entries=76, filesize=68053806. New hlog /hbase/.logs/us01-ciqps1-grid01.carrieriq.com,60020,1320187507171/us01-ciqps1-grid01.carrieriq.com%3A60020.1320192967380
2011-11-02 00:16:07,621 INFO org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.CodecPool: Got brand-new compressor
2011-11-02 00:16:07,621 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog: Could not append.
Requesting close of hlog
java.io.IOException: Reflection
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.SequenceFileLogWriter.sync(SequenceFileLogWriter.java:147)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog.sync(HLog.java:1002)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog.append(HLog.java:955)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.doMiniBatchPut(HRegion.java:1483)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.put(HRegion.java:1392)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.multi(HRegionServer.java:2591)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor13.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Server.call(HBaseRPC.java:570)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:1039)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.SequenceFileLogWriter.sync(SequenceFileLogWriter.java:145)
        ... 10 more
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream.closeThreads(DFSClient.java:3306)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream.sync(DFSClient.java:3216)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataOutputStream.sync(FSDataOutputStream.java:97)
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.SequenceFile$Writer.syncFs(SequenceFile.java:944)
        ... 14 more

This is probably not all ERRORS and FATALs I am continuing investigation and will post my
other findings later.

Can someone tell me what should I check else?

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com