hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase .92 maven artifacts compiled against different releases of Hadoop
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:27:05 GMT

> IMO a Hbase release should not include Hadoop JARs. Then, it would
> require a Hadoop installed to run. And it would use the Hadoop
> 'hadoop' CLI to start.

I agree with not bundling Hadoop for RPM/deb packages where the
package management system can take care of the dependencies.

I'm -1 on excluding the Hadoop jar from the tarball distribution,
however.  Forcing newcomers to download a Hadoop distribution in
addition to HBase, just to be able to start up a local _stand-alone_
HBase instance for testing is shooting ourselves in the foot as a
project.  We already get flak for being too complicated to run, let's
not add to it.

--gh