hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Commit Log format
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 22:34:42 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Nicolas Spiegelberg <nspiegelberg@fb.com> wrote:
> Committer questions.  I accidentally checked in some changes to HBase
> trunk with the Phabricator checkin format.  I used svn propedit to correct
> the log comments, so everything should look correct.  However, this raised
> a couple questions about committing code to HBase.
> 1.  I know the required format is "HBASE-##### Title".  Is anything else
> allowed?  Would including Phabricator comment mess up existing scripts?
> I'm assuming people are running something just slightly more complicated
> than "svn log|grep ^HBASE".

IIRC, we just picked up the hadoop convention.

I used to be of the school where commit message was fat describing all
that changed but seems like fashion now is to have that up in the
JIRA.  I kinda liked having the big commit messages; made the commit
log more interesting reading.

>  2.  Is there a reason why our CHANGES.txt isn't automated?  This is
> kinda a pain to keep updated, especially for something that we could just
> run "svn log|grep ^HBASE" on right before release.  I know that HIVE
> changelog is auto-generated.  I'm assuming most other projects do this as
> well.

We should just auto-generate it.  JIRA can do it for us.  Its a PITA
trying to keep it up and its always going to have holes in it.  I
suggest we move to auto-generated in TRUNK.

View raw message