hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: unit tests
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 06:30:32 GMT
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM, N Keywal <nkeywal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The surefire modification seems to work well, so we can move to the final
> step.
> Please find below the last proposition for the test. The behavior described
> can be activated with:
>  - a commit of hbase-4847
>  - a modification of the jenkins config to run mvn verify vs. mvn tests.
>
> The main points are:
>  - should we run small & medium tests only by default on a developer
> machine => here answer is yes
>  - should we run all tests on the central build => here answer is yes
>  - should we stop when a small test fails => here answer is yes
>  - should we stop when a medium test fails => here answer is yes
>

> Also, I just had a discussion with Jesse, who think we should keep/have the
> notion of integration test. If retained, the points above must be impacted
> to take this into account.

All sounds good to me.  I'm up for committing hbase-4847, amending
jenkins  build, and adding the below as doc into the hbase book.
I'll wait a day or two more in case more input.

One thing I don't follow is 'keep/have the notion of integration
test'.  How would that amend the above?  Is it that verify has been
coopted to "...execute small tests in a single JVM then medium tests
in a separate JVM for each test, then large tests in a separate JVM as
well."?  And we'd need to undo this so verify was still available to
do Integration tests? (Integration tests are tests that are named
IntegrationTest* and run for a long time)?

Good stuff lads,
St.Ack