hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HBase .92 maven artifacts compiled against different releases of Hadoop
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:54:50 GMT
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Eric Yang <eyang@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I recommend that one HBase release should be certified for one major release of Hadoop
to reduce risk.  Perhaps when public Hadoop API are rock solid, then it will become feasible
to have a version of HBase that work across multiple version of Hadoop.

IMO this is entirely untenable. Different users upgrade HDFS at
different rates - soon a lot of people will start to use 0.23 whereas
many people will be running 0.20 for years to come. New versions of
HBase need to be able to run against both (perhaps with some features
or improvements only available on the latest).

> In proposed HBase structure layout change (HBASE-4337), the packaging process excludes
inclusion of Hadoop jar file, and pick up from constructed class path.  In the effort of
ensuring Hadoop related technology can work together in integrated fashion (File system layout
change in HADOOP-6255).  This is the starting point to ensure that Hadoop can be swap out
with a different major version for test.  Once the proposed structure is adopted, HBase community
can setup integration test for HBase with multiple Hadoop major release.

I don't think the file layout is the major barrier here... the barrier
is people actually helping to write integration tests, and working to
fix bugs as they're found. For example, would very much appreciate
anyone's help to get this build green:
https://builds.apache.org/job/HBase-TRUNK-on-Hadoop-23/

-Todd
--