hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HBase .92 maven artifacts compiled against different releases of Hadoop
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:14:29 GMT
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
> Unfortunately it does bleed through into code as well. At least for hbase test
> artifact I can NOT run the single one against different versions of Hadoop.
> I'm less certain about the main artifact, but I believe I also had issues
> with MR2 there (although it could have been a cascading problem from
> a test artifact).

Ah, it might be the case that one of the upstream APIs changed from
interface to abstract class, which would make incompatible HBase jars
as a result... but I thought we had papered over all of those with
reflection. Maybe not in the tests.

>> Perhaps when you install the artifacts into a repository, though, the
>> dependencies leak into the dependency list of the installed POM -
>> meaning that we'd want different POMs installed based on which
>> dependency should get pulled in.
>
> Yup. And that's a second major problem -- dependency leakage.

Is this not a common issue with maven artifacts? How do people
generally deal with it?

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon