hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: on HBase 1.0
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 00:05:18 GMT
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> From: Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com>
>
>> I think the current state is that HBase is not as stable as Hadoop :)
>> Hopefully 0.92 or 0.94 will fix this - then let's talk about calling
>> it 1.0.
>

> Well if we are good with that characterization, then leaving HBase versioning at 0.X
makes sense.

I'm all for fixing the characterization, but the way to do it is to
stabilize it, not by just branding it differently.

Like Karthik said, I'm for a 1.0 but it should have a testing/burn-in
period with no major changes for a while. If major changes are needed
to fix bugs, then the base code/design isn't yet solid enough and we
aren't ready for 1.0.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon