hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: HBase 0.92/Hadoop 0.22 test results
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 00:33:09 GMT
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> That's a small cluster running on EC2.
>
> What instance type?

m1.large

> Should use c1.xlarge or m4.4xlarge, they won't see the possibility of noisy neighbors.

I know, but these are expensive. I'm lucky enough Cloudera is being
gracious footing
the bill for m1.large instances and not requiring me to run spots.

> Another thing that can happen, is if you use spot instances your spot instances can
> be taken back by AWS at any time. We had clusters in us-west-1 last week that were
> abruptly terminated without notice like this. (We use on-demand master and spot slaves,
> only the masters remained running... several times last week...)

That's not a problem. At least for now it isn't.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. I was talking to EC2 AWS folks trying to see whether they would
be in a position
to donate credits for Apache Projects, but these talks are not progressing well.