hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Omid: Transactional Support for HBase
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 07:53:37 GMT

On Nov 5, 2011, at 5:37 AM, lars hofhansl wrote:

> One thing I was wondering: Why bookkeeper? Why not store the WAL
> itself in HBase? That way
> you might not even need a separate server.

Lars, The key reasons are performance and scalability. We also would
like to have region servers at some point using BookKeeper for WAL for
our applications, even though the figure doesn't show it. In that
case, we have a common platform for WAL. We have a jira open about it,
but we haven't made progress in a while due to other priorities and
some issues with the WAL interface, but we have been planning on
getting back to it.

Btw, I'm assuming you know about the project: http://zookeeper.apache.org/bookkeeper/

-Flavio

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

fpj@yahoo-inc.com
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301