hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Status of 0.92RC
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 05:06:17 GMT
Here is something that will boggle your mind:
After you ran TestHCM often enough it will hang until you move your mouse around!

No joke... But what sounds like an impossibility is actually related to the use of SecureRandom.
SecureRandom uses /dev/random on Linux and that gathers entropy from system events
such as network activity, disk activity, keyboard activity, mouse movement, etc.
If not enough the entropy is available /dev/random will block until enough entropy is gathered!

When I add this to the command line (via pom.xml) TestHCM never hangs:
"-Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom"

(note that -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/urandom does not work for some reason on JDK 1.5
or newer,  the extra ./ is needed)

This instructs the JDK use /dev/urandom for SecureRandom, which unlike /dev/random will never
block, but if not enough
entropy exists it will generate random numbers of lesser quality... But for tests we don't
care.

That explains why tests only time out sometimes... when the system happens to run out of entropy
bits when a secure random
is used.

-- Lars