hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: on HBase 1.0
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 01:07:35 GMT
Personally I think before we can label it 1.0 we have to solve the RPC versioning issue,
so that clients and servers can be updated out of step.
________________________________
From: Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
To: "dev@hbase.apache.org" <dev@hbase.apache.org>
Cc: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:50 PM
Subject: on HBase 1.0

It's possible a release of 0.20.20X (X=5 I think) as Hadoop 1.0 is imminent.

The Hadoop 1.0 release is an acknowledgement of reality -- 0.20 branch is in production at
many places.

I know we agreed to separate HBase versioning from Hadoop versioning, but if we continue
to number HBase as 0.X after there is a Hadoop 1.0, there is an implicit marketing message
that we feel HBase is not as ready as Hadoop.

I propose that we consider, if and when Hadoop 1.0 is released, that we release HBase 1.0
off of the 0.92 branch. A subsequent release off of trunk could be 1.1 or 2.0 at the discretion
of the RM and community consensus.

Best regards,

   - Andy