hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Omid: Transactional Support for HBase
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2011 20:53:56 GMT
Another question: I assume this will not work out of the box with deletes?

Deletes always cover all key values in the past (from their timestamps on backwards), so once
a delete marker is placed there is no way to get back any of a puts it affects.

HBase trunk has HBASE-4536 to allow time-range scans to work with deleted rows (but needs
to be enabled for a column family - I still think it should be the default, but anyway).

-- Lars

________________________________
From: Flavio Junqueira <fpj@yahoo-inc.com>
To: Daniel Gómez Ferro <danielgf@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>; lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com>;
"dev@hbase.apache.org" <dev@hbase.apache.org>; Maysam Yabandeh <maysam@yahoo-inc.com>;
Benjamin Reed <breed@yahoo-inc.com>; Ivan Kelly <ivank@yahoo-inc.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 6, 2011 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: Omid: Transactional Support for HBase

A quick note on Omid for the ones following on github: the repository we will be working with
is the fork under the Yahoo! account:

https://github.com/yahoo/omid/

-Flavio

On Nov 5, 2011, at 9:36 PM, Daniel Gómez Ferro wrote:

>On Nov 5, 2011, at 05:37 , lars hofhansl wrote:
>
>Cool stuff Daniel,
>>

>Hi Lars,
>
>Thanks for the good points.
>

>>Was looking through the code a bit. Seems like you make a best effort to push as much
of
>>the filtering of KVs of uncommitted transactions to HBase and then do some filtering
on the client
>>not a bad approach. (I hope I didn't misunderstand the approach, only looked through
the code for
>>1/2 hour or so).
>>

>Putting it more accurately, the uncommitted KVs are stored at HBase, but it is the client's
job to filter them using the commit information that it has received from the status oracle.
According to snapshot isolation guarantee, all the versions that are inserted with a timestamp
larger than the transaction start timestamp must be ignored, which is done by setting the
time range on the client's get request sent to HBase. Since the uncommitted changes of the
aborted transactions are eventually removed from HBase, the client rarely needs to fetch more
than a version to reach a KV that is committed before the transaction starts (the first property
of snapshot isolation).

>>One thing I was wondering: Why bookkeeper? Why not store the WAL itself in HBase?
That way
>>you might not even need a separate server.
>>
>>Did you see: HBaseSI (http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~c15zhang/HBaseSI.pdf), they also
do MVCC
>>on top of unaltered HBase/schema, although from reading that paper I get the impression
that it
>>would not scale to scans touching many rows (which is where your client side filtering
comes in).

>Thanks for the link. We had seen the other paper of the same authors (Grid2010) that shares
the same bottlenecks with the recent work.
>As you pointed out correctly, the question is about performance. You could see the scalability
bottleneck of 400 TPS in the evaluation section of this paper. Our approach, however, provides
snapshot isolation with a negligible overhead on region servers, and could scale up to tens
of thousands write transactions per second. If you are interested, a summary of techniques
that we used to achieve this performance is published at SOSP'11, poster section.
>http://sigops.org/sosp/sosp11/posters/summaries/sosp11-final12.pdf
>

>>-- Lars

is to add lock-free transactional support on top of HBase. The current release includes CrSO,
a client-replicated status oracle that detects the write-write conflicts to provide Snapshot
Isolation. CrSO has the following appealing properties:

README: https://github.com/dgomezferro/omid/blob/master/README.md

>>Please do not hesitate to contact us in the case of any question.
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>Daniel Gómez Ferro

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

fpj@yahoo-inc.com
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301