hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:24:49 GMT
+1. That would be a good milestone for 0.92.

I also wish we'd get HBASE-4344 and related jiras (HBASE-2856, etc) in.

-- Lars
________________________________
From: Gary Helmling <ghelmling@gmail.com>
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?

I'd like to lobby for the security patches (HBASE-2742 and HBASE-3025)
going in to 0.92.  This may sound like a big change at this stage, but
in reality the impact on current HBase core is pretty contained:

* HBASE-2742 adds a "security" profile to the build, which only
includes the security sources (security/src/...) if enabled.  The
changes to core code in this patch mostly just enable subclassing of
HBaseClient and HBaseServer for implementation of the SecureRpcEngine.

* HBASE-3025 adds classes to the "security" source tree to implement
authorization checking.  These break down into:
  - an AccessController coprocessor implementation for authorization
checking.  If not enabled, this code has no impact on core.
  - additional shell commands for ACL manipulation: grant, revoke,
user_permission.  These implementations check for existence of the
security classes on the classpath and will fail gracefully with an
error message that security is not available.

The use of a maven profile means that security components will only be
included in the build when activated (mvn ... -P security), so we can
continue to do builds and releases without the security components, if
needed.  To start with, we may want to do separate release packages
for the base HBase version vs. HBase with security (0.92.0 and
0.92.0-security), so that only those interested in using the security
features need be impacted by them.

At Trend, we've been running a release with HBase security for the
past 6 months in production, so it's been proven to work for us.  I
know that there are other groups interested in working with HBase
security on 0.92, so I would really like to find a way meet that need.
At the same time, all of the security components have been built to
be optionally enabled, so I think there is very little risk to core by
including it.

--gh