hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: Random I/O performance
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:39:46 GMT

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Vladimir Rodionov
<vrodionov@carrieriq.com> wrote:
> We have a reporting tool which runs queries against Oracle DB, collects fact ids and
then
> queries HBase for these facts (one-by-one). This is single thread, simple Get op
>

> Can you do concurrent gets?

Yes,

> Whats your hardware like.  How many disks per machine?

This is on our customer premises. I suppose - not less than 6

> Is the table major compacted?

Really doubt of that but I do not have direct access to the grid environment

> Are you hitting cache at all?

Its totally random, due to the proposed key design which favored fast inserts. Keys are randomized
values, that is why there is no data locality in row look ups. Effect of the cache (LruBlockCache?)
is negligible
in this case.

> It is slow, of course. 5 hours to retrieve 1M facts from HBase storage. Approx 55 rows
per sec

How big is your table?

Not too big yet (50M rows) each row is approx 1-2K but its getting every day.

St.Ack