hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: HBase releases...
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:42:13 GMT
Jonathan, to make your community happier could you (your company)  contribute all Facebook's
internal patches to 0.92?
 I apologize to everyone who think that I was rude in my previous message.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Jonathan Gray [jgray@fb.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:12 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: RE: HBase releases...

Vladimir, I appreciate the contributions of your company and welcome your personal input around
the roadmap and future of HBase.

However, tying your perception of the community's overemphasis on features to the fact that
you had three RS go down today is a bit of a reach.  About a million different things could
be the cause.  And to me, your tone comes off as rude and entitled.  This is an open source
project.

HBase is driven by the priorities of the companies and developers contributing to it.  There's
no single controlling entity and contributions come from all over.

If you want to talk about stability, a number of applications at Facebook are running on an
0.89 based release, because those applications care about stability above all else.  It's
an inherently more stable version because it hasn't undergone significant code change for
more than a year and every individual commit went through a rigorous review and testing process.
 It's not inherently more stable because of superior architecture, it's more stable because
the codebase itself is so stable and has undergone so much testing.

But of course, there is truth to what you say!

We all agree we need to continue to get better at stability.  There has been some pretty significant
amounts of code change in the past year that were destabilizing but the road forward seems
clear and my sense is that most of our ideas around stability-impacting architecture changes
deal with decreasing complexity (like removing root) and increasing availability.  Performance
improvements will always be a constant.  Coprocessors make extending features into HBase much
simpler and less invasive.

I'm looking forward to getting 92 out the door soon and 93 or 94 shortly thereafter.  (wouldn't
that be some shit?  Release a 93 dev soon after 92 release?!)

JG