hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Mikael Sitruk <mikael.sit...@gmail.com>
Subject Adding a column family restriction
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:19:51 GMT
Hi

I have table in which I need to add column family. Nevertheless while trying
todo this via API or from shell this operation cannot be complete without
disabling the table first. From the business point of view i cannot affort
disabling the table.

So my questions are:
Why such restriction exist? I can understand for deleting a column family by
why for creating a new one?
Is there a plan to enable this in the future?
I have noticed that disabling/enabling table time is different from table to
table, what is the factor affecting the disable/enable time (number of
regions/volume of the table...)?

I also suggest to update the Javadoc to reflect this restriction on the
operation (currently no trace of this restriction in the javadoc)

Thanks
Regards,
Mikael.S