hbase-dev mailing list archives

From N Keywal <nkey...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FW: Speeding up tests
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:36:30 GMT
Hi;

I've identified a few sleep/wait related stuff, at the end it should cut the
start/stop time in half. I am waiting a little to see if it can be
generalized or not and I will publish them.

There are also possible improvements in the test themselves, small bug fixes
stuff, but it should buy a few minutes as well.

If I do things in a pure & clean way, that's gonna create a big big bunch of
very very small JIRAs. Is that ok, or do you prefer medium sized ones?

Then I will have a look at the profiler results. Who knows :-)

The next task could be defining the strategy for the split. I tend to
believe that we can categorize the tests between:
- core unit tests: with a contract: should be run before submitting a patch,
should not take too long, should not be flaky, should cover most of HBase
- long running tests: long or flaky, not on the core of HBase, or testing
specific cases (like timeout)

However, a failure of a test should break the central build, whatever the
category.

I have not made my mind at all, just that this seems an easy way to make
progress.

Cheers,