hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Akash Ashok <thehellma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SILT - nice keyvalue store paper
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:57:14 GMT
I was running some similar tests and came across a surprising finding. I
compared reads and write on ConcurrentSkipListMap ( which the memstore uses)
and synchronized TreeMap ( Which was literally treemap synchronized).
Executed concurrent reads, writes and deletes on both of them.
Surprisingly synchronized treeMap performed better, though just slightly
better, than ConcurrentSkipListMap which KeyValueSkipListSet uses.

Here are the output of a few runs

Sometimes the difference was considerable
Using HBaseMap it took 20438ms
Using TreeMap it took 11613ms
Time Difference:8825ms

And sometimes the difference was negligible
Using HBaseMap it took 13370ms
Using TreeMap it took 9482ms
Time Difference:3888ms

I've attaching the test  java file which I wrote to test it.
This might be a very minor differece but still surprising considering the
fact that ConcurrentSkipListMap uses fancy 2 level indexes which they say
improves the deletion performance.

And here are the details about the test run.
100 Threads each fetching 1,000,000 records
100 threads each adding 1,000,000 records.
100 threads each deletin 1,000,000 records
( Reads, Writes and deletes simultaneously )

Cheers,
Akash A