hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Akash Ashok <thehellma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Better Javadoc HTableDescriptor
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2011 02:57:20 GMT
Hi,
Looking the the two methods
1. isMetaTable() - returns if table is meta and not root, i.e returns if the
table represents .META.

    public boolean isMetaTable() {
        return isMetaRegion() && !isRootRegion();
    }

2. isMetaTable(String tableName) returns if a table is either .META. or
-ROOT-

    public static boolean isMetaTable(final byte [] tableName) {
        return Bytes.equals(tableName, HConstants.ROOT_TABLE_NAME) ||
          Bytes.equals(tableName, HConstants.META_TABLE_NAME);
    }

This overload of the function is not at all ok. Same method behaving very
differently in two situations is very confusing even with the detailed
Javadoc in place.

I'd suggest changing the implementation of 2 to return only if the table is
.META.

Like to hear your thoughts

Cheers,
Akash A