hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: FW: Speeding up tests
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:45:15 GMT
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM, N Keywal <nkeywal@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I do things in a pure & clean way, that's gonna create a big big bunch of
> very very small JIRAs. Is that ok, or do you prefer medium sized ones?

Medium-sized sounds better.  Group as best you can.  Doesn't have to
be pure when it comes to test refactoring I'd say.

> Then I will have a look at the profiler results. Who knows :-)

Little time has been spent around profiling start/stop I'd say.  Its
mostly message passing with wait loops and we probably do it the
dumbest way possible (smile).

> The next task could be defining the strategy for the split. I tend to
> believe that we can categorize the tests between:
> - core unit tests: with a contract: should be run before submitting a patch,
> should not take too long, should not be flaky, should cover most of HBase
> - long running tests: long or flaky, not on the core of HBase, or testing
> specific cases (like timeout)

Sounds good.

Flakey tests need to be fixed.  Its good fingering them as flakey but
would like to shutdown a test soon after it identified (I don't think
this part of the speed-up tests task -- its a separate endeavor).

Good stuff.

View raw message