hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Akash Ashok <thehellma...@gmail.com>
Subject Running UnitTests before submitting a patch
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2011 06:39:38 GMT
Hi,

I was just wondering as to how developers go about running unit tests before
they wanna submit a patch. I am not asking about testing the functionality
of the patches, but about the whole suite of regression test cases.

Firstly I end up running the whole suite without a the patch  and second
with patch and compare the results. But it turns out most of the times
there's always inconsistency. Meaning to say a few tests are erratic. The
fail while running the whole suite and pass when run alone. Moreover running
the whole test suite takes about 2 hours.

This is taking a lot of time for me to work on the simplest of the patches.

Could you please share some practices which devs usually follow before
submitting patches? It would be of great help.

Thanks a lot

Cheers,
Akash A