hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Akash Ashok <thehellma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running UnitTests before submitting a patch
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:31:30 GMT
Hi,

FAIL SAFE PLUGIN:
FailSafe Plugin sounds like a great idea. My understanding is that we
startup and kill the hdfs, zookeeper and HBase cluster instances for every
test suite ( Please correct me if I am wrong here ) . .

With FailSafe plugin we would be able to achieve the following things:
1. Spawn hdfs, zookeeper and HBase cluster once, run the tests and shut them
down at the end. I guess this is what pre and post integration tests are
meant  for ( Considering we aren't testing failure scenarios )
2. Also have to make sure the tests are runnable alone and not only in bulk.

Considering that we wouldn't have to run tests for 4 hrs ( 2 w/0 patch and 2
with patch ). I would be glad to work on this transition. Please count me
in.

BARNEY :
As for a 'barney', maybe something through twitter where when someone breaks
the build, the previous person posts a pic of barney to the receiver?

I was wondering why not have a VIRTUAL BARNEY as a Hudson Barney Plugin :)
Once a build breaks because of some1 the next time the same person checks in
it would warn saying this person had already broken the build last time and
he had also broken the build so many times in the past so BEWARE :P

Apologies since I am increasing non-productive work unrelated to HBase. But
I feel it would be kinda nice :)

Cheers,
Akash A