hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 08:30:41 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

See here for the incubator proposal:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AccumuloProposal

I'm usually dumbfounded with the amount of secrecy that typically surrounds
these incubator proposals - which is weird as the goal is ultimately to open
something up. I've been around ASF long enough to
realize organizations often have specific goals as to when and how drop
their precious jewels into the Foundation. Oh well.

I for one am more disappointed that this apparently has been an on-going
work for quite some time, shrouded in secrecy, by people fully aware of the
fact that an equivalent - community-driven - alternative existed - however
they didn't feel obliged or inclined to go the extra mile and start
communicating (or collaborating!) and they now try and look for technical
reasons as to whether they really had to do their own thing. It's pretty
unconvincing to open something up only once it's done and you can afford to
have other cooks in the kitchen.

But rather than shifting the burden to our side, maybe the incubator should
be rather strict in verifying there *is* a viable community for an
Apache-style development model at Accumulo. I've been mentoring BEA code
dumps myself into Apache, and once the company focus shifted, the lack of
genuine community dev adoption became rapidly apparent. Which was shortly
after that project graduated, of course.

Steven.
--
Steven Noels
http://outerthought.org/