hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 07:17:28 GMT
My understanding is that the ASF is about community, not code. So what
is the goal for Accumulo?  Build a community. How much would it
intersect with the HBase community?  Sounds like a lot.  Does it still
make sense to incubate it then?

To the point earlier that ASF has hosted multiple competitors of
various core projects, notably httpd, I had a look, there is exactly 2
projects that serve HTTP exclusively:
Apache HTTPD
Apache Traffic Server

But these 2 are complementary, although some features kind of overlap
(mod_proxy for eg), they dont really compete directly.

So, would the ASF allow incubation of a web server product, for
example nginx (which is a direct httpd competitor)?  If the answer is
"no either work with the httpd community or go elsewhere", then sure
Accumulo should have the same treatment?

-ryan