hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: FYI: Note that there is no need for copyright in hbase src code going forward
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:32:15 GMT
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 16:42, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification Bernd, I guess I don't understand how there can be two copyright
holders for the same pieces of
> software without an explicit copyright grant at the time of the donation.

My guess: Because it's not the same pieces. Think of a painting
exibited in a museum surrounded by other pieces of art in a special
artistic arrangement.
The painter would hold copyright for his painting, as do the other
artists for their pieces, but the arranging artist holds copyright for
the whole assemblement.
He can do this as the other artists (or the owner of the pieces who
may not even hold copyright) have granted him permission ('licensed')
to incorporate the pieces.

That's kind of how I imaging it works.

> Anyway, I realized that In this case we'd just have a local fork (or a clone rather)
of asynchhbase with local changes inside of
> Salesforce and copyrightis not concern as long as there is a suitable license that lets
us do this.
> (I guess "fork" has a distinct different meaning)

I don't know anything about asynchhbase. Is it part of Apache HBase?
Is it Apache-release code? As long as there is no official PMC-vetted
Apache release for the code, you cannot be sure it is properly
licensed.
You'd better consult your company's policy with respect to open source usage.

  Bernd