hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:32:43 GMT
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 16:10, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think it would be cool if the HBase
>> community which "is responsible for
>> the creation and maintenance of
>> software related to a distributed
>> database" (board resolution) shows its
>> openess and gets involved with the
>> project as mentors, committers, lurkers.
>
> How does that benefit HBase? I can see how it would benefit Accumulo.
There is an argument to be made it is not a zero sum game, but to do what
you suggest will pull resources from moving HBase forward. This seems an
"opportunity" to split our precious development resources, split community,
split resources, confuse would be adopters, and slow down or stop forward
momentum. I'm not seeing support for that on this thread.

You are painting a glooming picture here. Yet, it is only a projection of
what might could happen.
"Split" - users are not left or right. There is no blue or red pill to be
taken. If people want to be part of more than one community, they can, and
they do. The same way they use mySQL and HBase at the same time.
If people like to chose Project A over B, well, that's ok. HBase is not
judged by the number of downloads or pure size of community.

> Perhaps if HBase did what you suggest it is actually contrary to the
interests of the project, so would be mismanagement? I am just thinking out
loud here.

No. The HBase PMC has a defined mission, set up by the ASF board. Since this
mission might have significant overlap with Accumulo, it might (just one
possible outcome of Incubation) be tasked with the Accumulo code base as
well.
The mission of HBase includes fostering a community around this mission.
Read: Be open to new HBase users and contributors. In my opinion this
includes getting involved with Incubating projects which could bring new
ideas, code and "precious resources" to HBase. Sounds like Accumulo could be
such a project, but I don't know.

As a HBase user and out of curiosity for great tech, I'm certainly excited
about Accumulo. (And adding column families on the fly doesn't sound bad,
either.)

Bernd