hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 07:00:48 GMT
On Saturday, September 3, 2011, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm simply pointing out a lack of community involvement to date.
>

> I would only add to this that the incubation proposal makes a
controversial statement regarding existing involvement with the HBase
community. It may be technically true if a certain company with involvement
in HBase has also been interacting with "Accumulo", but is disingenuous to
claim that the "community" has been involved here.

> It looks like strictly a one way street: They have been able to observe or
borrow the fruits of our labor for years, and now at a suitable point wish
to incubate at the ASF to compete with our project for community. That is
not "community involvement". That is leeching.

are you saying that the proposal is actually some kind of HBase fork?

And, isn't this 'competition' already happening between all the BT and
Dynamo implementations?

I fail to see anything bad happening here.

 Bernd