hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 20:01:19 GMT
On Friday, September 2, 2011, Gary Helmling <ghelmling@gmail.com> wrote:

> Claims a relationship with HBase.  Is there overlapping code or is this
> the duplication of functionality?  There's no community relationship that
> I'm aware of.  I haven't seen any of the proposed committers on the HBase
> user and dev lists to this point, so that doesn't set much of a precedent
> for community interaction.
> Overall I see no meaningful differentiation vs HBase as an existing
> no past attempts to interact with the most relevant Apache community, and
> only an, until now, private "community" of government users.  I think it's
> great that they want to open source this.  I don't want to discourage that
> -- go for it!  But I don't see what the benefit is of ASF incubating this.
> I only see the potential for community fragmentation and market confusion
> over such closely similar projects.

Over the years, many "competing" projects went through incubation or were
developped in different projects. There are at least 5 HTTP servers, two
WS-* stacks, three build tools, there is Cassandra, HBase and CouchDB. No
project can claim to dominate a particular technical domain. Maybe a bit
surprising, this evolution of projects has fostered innovation and
contributed to ASFs versatlity.

The only thing you can really do is write code that rocks, build an open
community and put out great releases.