hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Decisionmaking [was: Re: New HBase Logo]
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:22:18 GMT
On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 06:30, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> Your PMC voted the following as the new HBase logo:
>
> At one time
> the thought was to have the broad hbase community vote on the logo but
> getting your PMC just to agree on a small set of contenders was like
> pulling teeth; painful all around (engineers and design == not such a
> good mix).  May you all forgive us for keeping the decision committee
> small.

There are two things here I think got mixed up.
a. who makes decisions
b. where are decisions being made

Decisions about a project are made on public mailing lists. Only very
few things are to be discussed in private (new committers, new PMC
members, personal conflicts, security issues).
Discussing a new logo does not belong on closed lists, IMHO.
The definitive decision about a new logo is made by the PMC - as the
PMC is tasked with stearing the project. So, even when discussing this
on the public dev list, only PMC members have binding votes. What you
call "decision committee" does not change from private@ to @dev, just
the audience.

However, to foster and grow the community, hearing and taking into
account everyone's opinion would have been great, and - in my opinion
- mandatory.
BTW, isn't the 99designs process public anyway? What bad things could
have happend if the discussion would have been started here?

Concerning the sponsorship of the logo contest: This is a different
beast and depending of the nature of the agreement might justify
keeping parts of it private.

For everyone who doubts that this complies with how Apache works, please read
http://apache.org/dev/pmc.html

Thanks,

  Bernd