hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maintaining stable HBase build
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:03:26 GMT
> Since both Gary and Eugene have been working on HBASE-4014 for quite some
> time, I didn't initially question the test cases.
> After integrating the patch for TRUNK, I discovered that
> TestRegionServerCoprocessorExceptionWithAbort failed consistently on Mac
> and
> Linux. So I backed it out.
> I first thought of disabling this particular test but later abandoned that
> idea - if a core test fails, this means the feature may have issue.
> I notified Eugene immediately and he will take a look today.
Ted, I did say that I would commit this change.  But I was still in the
process of verifying the tests, so I was a bit surprised to see that it had
been committed.  Running the tests had already uncovered one issue
(HBASE-4472).  I understand that maybe I'm taking longer than some might
like -- tests do take a long time to run and I was traveling yesterday.  I
do appreciate your follow up, but don't see the need for this patch to have
been rushed.

And seconding Andy's thought, don't take my word for it working! :)  I was
contingent on tests passing, which I still had yet to confirm.  Sorry if I
wasn't clear on that.

I'm happy to see the effort going in to improving our test situation, both
speeding up our current tests and separating out test groups.  Props to all
who have been contributing to that.  Anything we can do to streamline the
patch verification process will make it easier for all to follow it.