hbase-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Branching for 0.92 [WAS -> Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal]
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:37:15 GMT
I'm still planning on branching this friday, even if all criticals and
blockers are not yet fixed.  Friday for sure will mean feature freeze.
 Are there any features other than security that we need to get in
before we branch?

St.Ack



On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> I'd like to propose branching friday week, the 16th.  Hopefully that
> will might get folks to focus on these last outstanding issues (of
> which there are quite a few).
>
> Thereafter we need to work on stabilization which I'm sure will turn
> up at least one bug, maybe two (smile).  Stabilization will run for a
> good while I'd say and will take some effort all around.  Only bug
> fixes should go into 0.92 branch (J-D might have to tie me to the
> mast).
>
> Should we discuss in a separate whether to pull in security?
>
> St.Ack
>
>
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> I also agreed at the time to hold off refactoring the build for Maven modules and
supporting RPC engine variants. I would still have the same opinion if not for recent events.
>>
>> How much work remains for 0.92? If more than a few week's worth, then a parallel
refactor of the build could happen, with a final merge step.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>    - Andy
>>
>> On Tue Sep 6th, 2011 12:02 PM PDT Gary Helmling wrote:
>>
>>>> Seems like committing it will disrupt the build and src tree layout.
>>>> Gary was holding off till we branched but 0.92 branching is taking too
>>>> long.
>>>>
>>>> + Lets branch this friday, or next?
>>>> + And or, run a vote on whether we should commit security now before
>>>> we branch or after
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>This is getting off topic for the current thread, so I'll open a new thread
>>>to take a vote on converting trunk back in to maven modules.  This is what
>>>would be necessary to integrate the various security bits.
>>>
>>>The last discussion we had on this was on the dev list at the end of
>>>May/beginning of June:
>>>http://search-hadoop.com/m/iXZmd2aZwBE1
>>>
>>>I agreed as much as anyone that we should hold off until after branching
>>>0.92 in order to avoid the disruption of moving the entire source tree
>>>around.  So I have been holding off on this on my own discretion and any
>>>delay sits mostly with me.
>>>
>>>Of course, that was three months ago and we still haven't branched.  In
>>>hindsight, if we were aware how long the 0.92 process would go on, I think
>>>the thread might have reached a different conclusion.  In any case, I think
>>>it warrants another discussion.
>>>
>>>--gh
>>
>>
>

Mime
View raw message