hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 18:06:29 GMT
See here for the incubator proposal:

Reactions probably better belong over on the incubator mailing list
but I thought a discussion here first might be useful developing a

Initial reaction, not having seen the code, is that it seems to be close to
HBase; so close, they call HBase out explicitly in their proposal.

The cell based 'access labels' seem like a matter of adding
an extra field to KV and their Iterators seem like a specialization on
Coprocessors.  The ability to add column families on the fly seems too
minor a difference to call out especially if online schema edits are
now (soon) supported.  They talk of locality group like functionality
too -- that
could be a significant difference.  We would have to see the code but at
first blush, differences look small.

Yet another BT implementation further divides this contended space.
If there were to be an effort integrating HBase into Accumulo or vice
versa, its likely to distract significantly from project forward motion (If
the Accumulo fellows were interested in integrating the two projects,
I'd have thought they'd have tried to talk to us before this so thats
probably not their intent).

On other hand, if their once-secret project is out in the open, we can
steal the Apache-licensed good bits and....

What do folks think?

View raw message