hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 05:17:31 GMT
I'm pissed off my tax dollars were being used to duplicate the effort
we expend each day up here in hbaselandia!

Some one of us needs to bottle some of the above as a response over in
incubator.

My thought is that we'd be doing all involved a service getting them
to tighten up the proposal.

I'd think the response would run something like we welcome the code
drop, that we appreciate the monumental effort it must have taken
making an NSA sponsored project open source, and that we wish them
luck getting folks to run software written by the NSA (joke!), but we
have some 'feedback' on the proposal as written, in particular around
its references to our project.

I think Gary's list citing issues/code in hbase that we are unlikely
to do would be good to include in the response and that we'd question
their claiming strong relationship with hbase when it seems the
relationship was one way only.

I think Ted's question on how NSA will do OSS going forward when its
been a problem up to this is an interesting one but I'd expect that
it'll likely be asked by those over in incubator since it so obvious.

What ye reckon?

I can up a response but maybe Gary, since I'd mostly be recasting your
first response above, you want to do it?

St.Ack

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm simply pointing out a lack of community involvement to date.
>

> I would only add to this that the incubation proposal makes a controversial statement
regarding existing involvement with the HBase community. It may be technically true if a certain
company with involvement in HBase has also been interacting with "Accumulo", but is disingenuous
to claim that the "community" has been involved here.

> It looks like strictly a one way street: They have been able to observe or borrow the
fruits of our labor for years, and now at a suitable point wish to incubate at the ASF to
compete with our project for community. That is not "community involvement". That is leeching.

> Best regards,
>

>        - Andy

Incubator as a proposal