hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 19:09:50 GMT
Hey folks,

<wearing my Todd hat and not my Cloudera hat!>

I've been in touch with this team for the last 18 months or so.
They're good people, smart, and have a healthy respect for HBase and
our team. Though they haven't contributed code or participated on the
lists, I can vouch that they do follow our development and generally
do understand HBase as well as what makes their system different. In
the context of the incubator proposal, they're trying to explain why
their system is different than HBase, and not trying to knock our
project. They do borrow our ideas, and in the future we'll be able to
borrow some of theirs. Iterator trees, for example, are distinct from
coprocessors and have some really nice capabilities which I'm looking
forward to adapting into HBase.

There are a couple things to keep in mind about the story here:
- they first evaluated HBase 3 years ago. HBase at that point was not
usable for their application - I think several of us here remember the
state of HBase at the time and might have made the same decision. So,
they started their own project with an internal team of 5-6 people.
- contributing to open source from within the NSA is not easy, for
obvious reasons. They've jumped through many hoops to open source
this, and we should be thankful for that. Now that they're out in open
source land, I think we'll see them collaborating with us much more
openly.

I for one look forward to working with these folks, and maybe merging
the projects some time down the road as the feature lists converge.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera