hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Yates <jesse.k.ya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running UnitTests before submitting a patch
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:06:13 GMT
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Doug Meil
<doug.meil@explorysmedical.com>wrote:

> I'm not too familiar with the Maven Failsafe plugin, but I've been
> reviewing the timings of some 'client' unit tests and where the unit test
> framework spends it's time...
>
> Anything that uses HBaseTestingUtility and does something like...
>
>  protected void setUp() throws Exception {
>                        TEST_UTIL.startMiniCluster(1);
>                        TEST_UTIL.createTable(TABLENAME,
> HConstants.CATALOG_FAMILY);
>                }
>
>                protected void tearDown() throws IOException {
>                        TEST_UTIL.shutdownMiniCluster();
>                }
>
> ... will spent (at least on my laptop) about 10.7 seconds setting up the
> cluster, and 7.3 seconds tearing down.  Assuming that we aren't running in
> a separate JVM each test invocation, sharing the same instance of
> HBaseTestingUtility would be an enormous benefit.
>

> In terms of startup costs... It's all right here...
>

> this.hbaseCluster = new MiniHBaseCluster(c, numMasters, numSlaves);
>

>    // Don't leave here till we've done a successful scan of the .META.
>    HTable t = new HTable(c, HConstants.META_TABLE_NAME);
>    ResultScanner s = t.getScanner(new Scan());
>    while (s.next() != null) {
>      continue;
>    }
>

> ...   MiniHBaseCluster starts up via the init method in the constructor,
> and the following code sits and spins until it's ready.

Wow, I thought that might be happening. That is really rough.

> As I see it the required actions are:
>
> 1)  Re-use JVMs between test runs (if we are already doing this, then no
> action)

This is already built into maven when we run tests normally. This leads to
some interesting situations for messing around with class loading/global
variables; if you don't reset the environment, it can cause other
(essentially non-broken) tests to fail.  Unless we are running things in
forked mode .

Forked mode could also cut down on the straight unit test time, but in my
experience this has lead to difficulty in figuring out what crashed. For
some reason maven doesn't realize which tests failed, just that they did, in
its final output (though it still stdouts "FAILURE").

> 2)  Re-use the same HBaseTestingUtility instance for all possible tests.
>
> I think #2 isn't "that bad" if we had a factory method to get/return
> HBaseTestingUtility instance and internally this factory could do a
> ref-count  and auto-detect of non-activity, then it could shutdown the
> cluster behind the scenes.

+1 on this idea.
We should also look into adding more/less region servers whenever people
request more. We could just leave it up for the entire span of the
integration tests and then bring it down afterwards (to make it easier on
ourselves.

I'm pretty sure that we running all the tests consecutively right now,
rather than forking them out.

-Jesse Yates