hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Migdal <ja...@fb.com>
Subject Re: prefix compression implementation
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 23:58:16 GMT

On 9/20/11 10:59 AM, "Matt Corgan" <mcorgan@hotpads.com> wrote:

>bringing all questions into a single email:
>
>stack >> I'd say call it Cell rather than HCell.
>
>i did think the H was a very simple way to add uniqueness, like isn't
>"HFile" a big win over "File"?  there are already two other classes called
>"Cell" in hbase (guava and REST gateway).  another option could be KV,
>though i don't like making exceptions to java's no-abbreviations
>guidelines.
KeyValueCell?

To be honest, no name seems to be a very good option. However, it would be
nice if it would be somewhat related to KeyValue.

On large scope, it would be hard to integrate this interface anytime soon.
I would rather do it later.

>stack >> There is a patch lying around that adds a version to KV by using
>top
>two bytes of the type byte.  If you need me to dig it up, just say
>(then you might not have to have v1 stuff in your Interface).
>
>not sure what you mean here.  top two bits?  you mean encoding the
>timestamp
>inside the type byte?
Versioning KeyValue per KeyValue seems to be crazy. Shouldn't it be per
block or file.

>(interface discussion)

It is a huge chance. It would be great if we could prototype a few things.
Especially I would like to avoid any optimizations before we know a got
way to measure them.

Jacek