hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: FYI: Note that there is no need for copyright in hbase src code going forward
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:42:33 GMT
Thanks for the clarification Bernd, I guess I don't understand how there can be two copyright
holders for the same pieces of
software without an explicit copyright grant at the time of the donation.

Anyway, I realized that In this case we'd just have a local fork (or a clone rather) of asynchhbase
with local changes inside of
Salesforce and copyrightis not concern as long as there is a suitable license that lets us
do this.
(I guess "fork" has a distinct different meaning)

-- Lars

________________________________
From: Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com>
To: dev@hbase.apache.org; lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: FYI: Note that there is no need for copyright in hbase src code going forward

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:57, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hypothetically speaking...Need to think before I hit submit. :)
>

> I was wondering for a while how one could take a project that does or does not have single
copyright owner and merge that with a main Apache project. asynchhbase came to mind (much
better client than the one we have)

That's the most tricky part in Open Source.
At first, you have to differentiate Copyright and Licensing.
Apache projects are Apache-licensed, so you can take the code and do
with it what you want (except claiming copyright). (This is the very
short version.)
For all contributions to Apache projects (including code and
documentation) the original contributor holds copyrights. There is no
transfer of copyright over to Apache.
However, the ASF holds copyright for the combined work that is the
released product.
A missing copyright notice is no indication that there is no copyright.

All you need to care for as a user/consumer of Apache software is the
license. Enjoy.

The PMC is responsible to make sure that releases indeed allow for and
fully are Apache Licensed.

For more details, pls ask on the legal mailing list or see the link
given in HBASE-3870.

   Bernd (WINAL)