hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:31:26 GMT
Note I am talking about people who feel they have an interest in HBase development, or have
some stake, or are attempting to be a competent PMC, or similar. When confronted with an incubation
of something that seems very similar ("tomcat" versus "timdog" as has been cleverly said),
legitimate concerns are raised here that there will be a negative impact on the momentum of
the HBase project, the only question is the magnitude.

On the other hand perhaps members from the community at large will indeed shift to some involvement
with Accumulo. Who knows. The Accumulo project would benefit from that. HBase probably will
not. Do we all benefit in the end nonetheless? If there were more apparent differences it
would seem less like a zero sum game.

All of this is of course merely only one person's opinions, not the opinion of my employer,
or the HBase PMC, etc. For what it might be worth.

Best regards,

    - Andy

On Mon Sep 5th, 2011 7:10 AM PDT Andrew Purtell wrote:

>> I think it would be cool if the HBase
>> community which "is responsible for
>> the creation and maintenance of
>> software related to a distributed
>> database" (board resolution) shows its
>> openess and gets involved with the
>> project as mentors, committers, lurkers.
>
>How does that benefit HBase? I can see how it would benefit Accumulo. There is an argument
to be made it is not a zero sum game, but to do what you suggest will pull resources from
moving HBase forward. This seems an "opportunity" to split our precious development resources,
split community, split resources, confuse would be adopters, and slow down or stop forward
momentum. I'm not seeing support for that on this thread. Perhaps if HBase did what you suggest
it is actually contrary to the interests of the project, so would be mismanagement? I am just
thinking out loud here.