hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:10:35 GMT
> I think it would be cool if the HBase
> community which "is responsible for
> the creation and maintenance of
> software related to a distributed
> database" (board resolution) shows its
> openess and gets involved with the
> project as mentors, committers, lurkers.

How does that benefit HBase? I can see how it would benefit Accumulo. There is an argument
to be made it is not a zero sum game, but to do what you suggest will pull resources from
moving HBase forward. This seems an "opportunity" to split our precious development resources,
split community, split resources, confuse would be adopters, and slow down or stop forward
momentum. I'm not seeing support for that on this thread. Perhaps if HBase did what you suggest
it is actually contrary to the interests of the project, so would be mismanagement? I am just
thinking out loud here.

Best regards,

    - Andy