hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 10:22:11 GMT
> I think it'd be useful correcting at least the 'unlikely tos' with
> pointers to committed code.

I would agree.

Trend Micro has offered to the HBase community, for several months now, a version of HBase
with Secure Hadoop integration and functioning table- and column-family ACLs:

    http://github.com/trendmicro/hbase/tree/security

We run a 0.90-ish version of this in our production.

The implementation is implemented as a coprocessor, but requires the coprocessor framework
and pluggable RPC (and the secure RPC engine) to be included into core. So far we have successfully
upstreamed the coprocessor framework, into 0.92. Inclusion of pluggable RPC (and the secure
RPC engine) into 0.92 could happen, but my understanding is the PMC consensus is pluggable
RPC, and the Maven build refactoring necessary, would delay the release unacceptably. So this
has been "accepted" in principle for 0.94. I put 'accepted' in quotes because I can't say
there is any commitment to do this.

I think we can respond that a secure HBase would be a reality if our contributions are accepted
in full. It would be a stronger response if the immediate next release (almost ready) were
to have fully functioning security features.

On the other hand, I think the Accumulo proposal is not inaccurate if our contributions will
not be accepted for some reason.

So we should have this discussion, before responding.

> Code overlap, if any, can be addressed when the code drop happens.

I for one am eagerly awaiting the code. Only after this will there be enough information on
hand to address some of the questions we have.

Best regards,

        - Andy