hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:11:59 GMT
> From: Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com>
> And, isn't this 'competition' already happening between all the BT and Dynamo implementations?

Yes there is, and there is clearly major architectural and implementation differences that
make it worthwhile to promote such competition. Nobody disputes (that I know of) that one
of BT or Dynamo is not going to be a good fit for use case X, but will be for use case Y,
and so on.

>From what I have heard -- and of course we are fumbling around in the dark a bit here
waiting for secret code yet to be released -- there is much less distinction here between
the code base proposed for incubation and HBase. I hear a rumor it borrows some HBase code
directly.

> I fail to see anything bad happening here.

See below...

> are you saying that the proposal is actually some kind of HBase fork?

This question can be answered by a detailed review of both code bases side by side.

Let us call this a concern, not an assertion that anything bad is happening here. I at least
do not have enough information on hand to say one way or another.

Best regards,

   - Andy

regarding existing involvement with the HBase community. It may be technically true if a certain
company with involvement in HBase has also been interacting with "Accumulo", but is disingenuous
to claim that the "community" has been involved here.

>> It looks like strictly a one way street: They have been able to observe or borrow
the fruits of our labor for years, and now at a suitable point wish to incubate at the ASF
to compete with our project for community. That is not "community involvement". That is leeching.