hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 02:13:33 GMT
> I'm simply pointing out a lack of community involvement to date.

I would only add to this that the incubation proposal makes a controversial statement regarding
existing involvement with the HBase community. It may be technically true if a certain company
with involvement in HBase has also been interacting with "Accumulo", but is disingenuous to
claim that the "community" has been involved here.

It looks like strictly a one way street: They have been able to observe or borrow the fruits
of our labor for years, and now at a suitable point wish to incubate at the ASF to compete
with our project for community. That is not "community involvement". That is leeching.

Best regards,

       - Andy