hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ramkrishna S Vasudevan <ramakrish...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: HBase Table Split
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 04:59:38 GMT
Hi Neeraj

If you are not specifying any splits while creating a table then the table
while created will be created with one region associated with it.

You have an option to create table along with split keys.

Like 000-0100, 0100-0200, 0200-0300 and create table.  This will create
tables with specifed region splits.

Any data that goes into the table will be put into the appropriate region.

and as you said as the region grows the Rs will trigger a region split and
ever region will be managed by an RS.

I am not able to give you any link but may be useful to you. Just to tell
you like regions with initial splits can be created.
Regards
Ram

-----Original Message-----
From: Neerja Bhatnagar [mailto:neerjapub@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:18 AM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: HBase Table Split

Hi,

Can anyone please point me to a link that explains how HBase splits tables
and regions. I am unable to find anything beyond this -

Tables in HBase are initially created with one region by default. For bulk
imports, this means that all clients will write to the same region until it
is large enough to split and become distributed across the cluster.

Cheers, Neerja