hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Akash Ashok <thehellma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is there only one instance of HLog.?
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:03:43 GMT
I just found the answer in "HBase: The Definitive Guide"

It quotes a quote from the BigTable paper -

" If we kept the commit log for each tablet in a separate log file, a very
large number of files would be written concurrently in GFS. Depending on the
underlying file system implementation on each GFS server, these writes could
cause a large number of disk seeks to write to the different physical log
files."

Cheers,
Akash A