hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject About the new HBA.flush behavior in 0.90
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:30:02 GMT
Hey devs,

I want to have your opinion on the new way HBA.flush is working. It
used to be that it would contact the master which issued the flush
calls to every RS which were all queued. Now HBA calls every RS for
every region (so if you have 2000k regions in a table, it's that many
RPCs) and the flushing is done in-line meaning that in situations like
mine my call has been running for now more than an hour.

While it's nice to be able to tell if everything is truly flushed, the
current function doesn't give feedback on its progress so you don't
even know how far you are.

(oh my flush is done, took 1h25min)

So what do people think? Should we have both a flush and a flushAsync
command like we have for creating tables? The latter would ideally
queue all the flushes instead of doing them inline, which would also
require new HRS public method.

Also we could optimize how it works right now by adding some
parallelization while keeping the current guarantees.

J-D