hbase-dev mailing list archives

From nileema shingte <nileema.shin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBASE-1730 and HBASE-4213
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 04:03:58 GMT
Hi Guys,

Thank you for starting a thread to bring this to closure.

I have only read Subbu's description of the approach. I believe the main
difference is that 4213 uses the zookeeper to maintain if all regions have
the updated schema and reopening the regions is the RegionServer's
responsibility, where as 1730 it happens in memory in the Master, and
reopens are issued by the master.

I have not read through the patch submitted on 4213, so am not sure if it
allows you to configure the number of regions that reopen at a time. Apart
from this I think that 1730 is a subset of 4213 and if 4213 agrees more with
the HBase ideology, we should definitely use that as a patch.

In either case, I will respond to the comments on the Jira and upload
detailed description for the same.

Thanks,
Nileema

PS: I am new to HBase and was working on this during my internship. I wasn't
aware of other efforts towards this. Apologies if I created any
inconvenience.