hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Two requests from a grumpy old man
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:36:38 GMT
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> Why remove the day limit Andrew?
>

> Both proposals seek middle ground between one JIRA that rolls up all related changes,
or a bunch of JIRAs for different aspects of a single commit. I think both extremes are best
to be avoided. I think Todd's 24 hour limit is overly and artificially constraining and
not that realistic for a newly committed change to be well tested by the community. Bounding
changes between releases is definitely good for sanity. So is there some time limit in between
that has consensus support then?

>> My guess is that Todd suggested the> 24 hour bound because it simplifies the
archeological dig figuring
>> what hbase civilization was like back when they released 0.90.x?
>
> I don't see this as an issue? People generally know how to use grep, and the proposal
includes an agreement to use commit messages of the form "Amend HBASE-XXXX".

The issue is mostly one that we run into as distribution maintainers.
We often have backported some patches from trunk or a branch that
haven't been included in a release yet - the latest Cloudera release
is 0.90.3, but includes a few patches from 0.90.4. Our next release
will probably be 0.90.4, but will include a couple things backported
from trunk/92. So, it can be confusing when we say "our release has
HBASE-nnnn", and then the meaning of HBASE-nnnn changes several weeks
after it was committed.

I understand that this is something that the community may not care
about, since it's unique to downstream maintainers of patch series.
But, I am guessing that other folks that maintain branches slightly
off trunk (eg Facebook, Trend, etc) may have a similar issue with
integrating changes into their production branches?

A day may be too tight, but maybe we can compromise on a few days, or a week?

Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera